APPEC: PROTECTING RURAL ONTARIO FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS
1. HEALTH & SAFETY
- Reassessment of government minimum noise guidelines : (rural acoustic environment level) Class 3
- No less than 2km of distance between industrial wind power plants, industrial wind turbines and transformer stations and residences, hospitals, schools and communities in general.
- Comprehensive, independent study of health complaints such as vibro-acoustic disease, light flicker, stray voltage, ice throw, noise radiation.
- Comprehensive study of “Wind Turbine Syndrome”
2. INFORMATION & EXPLANATION
- Inform public that wind will not replace standard forms of electricity generation but needs backup power from those standard forms
- Inform about wind power limitations, inefficiency, intermittency and cost
- Promote lower-impact alternatives ie. solar, geothermal, biomass, conservation
- No exemption from Environmental Assessment Act for wind power plants above 2 MW installed capacity Bill 51
- Demand transparency in developer-municipal government relations (Citizens oversight group)
- Promote energy efficiency tax incentives for residential, commercial and institutional building owners
3. HERITAGE & CULTURE
- Protect and preserve rural towns and villages, prime agricultural land, sensitive wetlands, designated wildlife areas,pristine shorelines and migratory bird paths from industrialized elements 400-500ft turbines, transformers, transmission towers, and wires and substations
- Protect and preserve historic building and cultural heritage landscapes from ravages of construction phase.
- Protect cherished views for residents, visitors and future generations
- Protect lands from potential destruction of undiscovered artifacts by turbine installation process
4. NATURAL ENVIRONMENT
- Exclude migratory bird paths areas from wind power plant development
- Exclude wildlife habitats from wind power plant development infrastructure
- Ban disruption of endangered wetlands through installation of wind project infrastructure
- Protect non-industrialized shoreline from industrial wind power plants
- Protect property values of residential, commercial, recreational and agricultural real estate